Dates Pickle/Chutney

Met one of my friend (F) (who also follows this blog) in a community gathering. After we exchanged pleasantries, the discussion lead to blog and its recipes which happens most of the times with my other friends these days ;).
F: What's up next on the blog?
Me: Lots in draft, yet to finalize what's next
F: I tried few recipes and loved them. Green Gram Dhokla was a hit during my party.
Me: *** Happy Happy Smiles *** [I like to hear such feedback that boosts my confidence]

After the initial compliment, she came up with her suggestion

F: Vhanni [Being younger she calls me vhanni in konkani], would like to see more recipes for souls like us who are not sweet lovers, most of the recipes that you have posted belong to sweet category 
Me: [Chuckling ] blame that sweet tooth of mine. I get tempted to try out sweet/ desert recipes as soon as I see them
F: *** Smiles ***
Me: ok let me know what u expect more
F: May be some instant pickles

The above conversation left me wondering and thinking why I didn't post any recipe on pickles yet. Probably because its always a bottled pickle bought from stores when need arises. With a wish to fullfill her request asap I went in search of pickle recipe prepared from DATES :P  [why dates because I had bought them to prepare a cake and now that I have a suggestion here the cake preparation took a back seat scheduled for a later period]

Below is the recipe I tried ... inspired from Shireen's space Ruchik Randhap. I have tried few more recipes like soya granules subzi, mix veg pulao, carrot garlic chutney, and my family enjoyed all of those dishes. So I was sure that Shireen' recipe for this dish would also be a hit.  Don't know what to name this dish - pickle or chutney, I would include it under accompaniment. Shireen named the dish as chutney as she had added water. I have totally excluded water from this recipe, you may add if you want it to be paste like consistency. 



Ingredients

1/2 cup chopped dates 
1 green chilli, minced [adjust as per your preference for spicy levels]
1 tsp minced ginger
2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 and 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp of mustard seeds
10 curry leaves
3 tbsp Oil
salt to taste
3 tbsp vinegar

To dry grind into powder
1/2 tsp methi seeds
a very small piece of hing
2-3 cloves
2-3 peppercorns

Method:

Heat oil in a non stick pan or kadhai. Add mustard seeds and as they splutter, add curry leaves, minced green chilli, ginger and chopped garlic. Saute them on low flame for a minute. Next mix in dates and continue stirring it on low flame. Toss in the powders - turmeric powder, ground powder and saute it nicely taking care not to burn it. Add brown sugar, salt to taste and vinegar. Bring the mixture to boil. Switch off the flame, allow it to cool and later transfer into dry jar. Keep it refrigerated. Serve as an accompaniment with chappatis, dosas, curd rice, ghee rice. 

I served them with Oats Brownbread  Utthapam. Recipe coming soon!



Note to my friend : Thanks for your suggestion I made an attempt to prepare thisThough the pickle has sweet taste [I realized it later that the dish again has natural sweetness in it because of dates :P], do try this spicy, sweet, sour dish and believe me you will really enjoy it .. Its lipsmackingly delicious !

Happy Cooking !

4 comments:

  1. This pickle is something i can have happily with some rotis, soo delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnks Priya ,,, we just enjoyed it,,,soon gonna make them again in more quantity than above :)

      Delete